Monday, May 4, 2009

East of Eden Intrigue

I am truly enjoying this East of Eden business.  Tonight I read a bunch of it while I was on a walk.  V. good.  

I am really loving the library in Auburn.  It's really nice--they have a good selection of books.  Not that I would know, though.  I actually don't get books there.  I get either magazines or movies.  So much for being an English teacher!  

This weekend I watched the movie The Reader

the-reader-winslet-kross.jpg


HIghly interesting.  Kate Winslet was really good in it.  I also really liked the young version of the main character.  The movie was very emotional and dealt more with the Holocaust than I assumed.  I was really drawn in by it, though.


For a bit of a summary, the movie is about a young boy who gets ill on the street on the way home from school.  As he is throwing up on the street, a woman (Winslet) helps him out and takes him home.  After this incident, they become lovers and spend every afternoon together.  Each day the boy reads his school books aloud to her which she enjoys.  Eventually the two split.  Later on, we find the boy in law school.  His class is visiting the courtroom during the Holocaust trials.  As it turns out, his former lover has been accused of crimes related to the Holocaust.  


He knows some hidden truths that might help her case, but fails to report them.  As the story goes on, we see how she lives in prison, and how the boy stays involved with her.  


Although this movie was interesting, it left me questioning the boy.  Why didn't he tell?  Perhaps he was ashamed to have associated so closely with someone who committed such crimes.  Perhaps he cared about her so much that he wanted to protect her secrets for her.  In any case it was an interesting, thoughtful, and emotional movie.  Check it out.


I like movies.


DD

1 comment:

Meg Schudel said...

This is swiftly becoming the Meg/Leslie blog...Can't help myself!

I just finished The Reader last month and found it moderately enjoyable; I think it's one of those books that's at least as good if not better on screen. It was well, but sparsely written and could've been a lot hotter, in my opinion. I can't wait to see the movie! Thanks for the recommendation!

Yay for renting movies from the library! I do it like it's my job. I've watched SO MANY MOVIES since I've been out of college. It's awesome. Hurrah for lovin' your library.

What are you enjoying so much about East of Eden? I'm intrigued, I've always enjoyed Steinbeck but only in about 100-page chunks since The Red Pony, The Pearl, and Of Mice and Men are all so short!